March 13, 2020
Dear Crosspoint Family,
I’m sure you’re all aware of what’s been happening around the world concerning the Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are also experiencing growing concern in Canada and here in Edmonton.
Our hearts go out to those who have been affected by this virus. The impact reaches beyond individuals to families, communities, businesses, and even the world economy. While this is concerning, we believe and trust that God is bigger than all of this. He spoke the world into being, he causes nations to rise and fall, and yet he is deeply concerned for each of us. Recently, I saw somebody post on Twitter that whenever they wash their hands, they pray for those affected by COVID-19. What if we each decided to do that? God hasn’t given us a Spirit of fear, but of love, power, and sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). May we be a people who believe, trust, seek God, and walk in peace.
The health and safety of Crosspoint is important to us. As we trust God, we must still walk with wisdom. Canada’s Public Health Agency has deemed the current health risk associated with COVID-19 as low. Nevertheless, we will continue to be diligent to help prevent the spread of this illness.
Going forward, we will continue to host weekend gatherings at 9:00 am and 11:00 am. We will be working hard to maintain the requirements for large gatherings as proposed by Alberta Health Services. To increase health safety, we will be making the following changes to our regular Sunday practices:
- You will have access to hand sanitizer units on each floor of the building. We will also be providing hand sanitizer bottles in our lobby.
- We will not be passing the offering during our gatherings. Instead, you can leave your offering in the buckets at the back of the worship centre. You can also give online.
- We will be opening the main floor wings and the balcony during each gathering in order to create more space between participants.
- Our volunteers will be instructed to follow proper hand-washing procedures and will not be shaking hands.
- We will not be handing out bulletins or Bibles but will have them available in the lobby and at the back of the worship centre.
- Our SpotON! Kids ministry will continue in their diligence at maintaining a clean environment, in keeping with our Plan to Protect policy. Any sick children will be sent home.
- All staff and volunteers who are feeling unwell will be instructed to stay home.
When you join us on Sunday, please refrain from hand-shaking, high fives or first bumps. Instead, let’s bump elbows, tap some else’s foot, or simply wave. Also, let’s all practice good hygiene and wash our hands frequently!
If you have any signs of illness, we ask that you refrain from attending our weekend services. Also, please do not attend our weekend gathering if you:
- have recently traveled outside of Canada
- you or someone you live with or care with is part of the high-risk population (as defined by AHS)
We encourage you to instead stay home and participate in our gatherings online.
We deeply care about each and every one of you. If you or someone you care about has been diagnosed as positive for COVID-19, please don’t suffer in silence. Send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post it on Realm. We want to pray with you and reach out to encourage you.
Going forward we will keep you updated on our next steps. We will be working in cooperation with the Alberta Health Services recommendations. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Grace and peace,
Pastor Rob Chartrand